Employment at Colorado Open Lands
Please check the following websites for related job opportunities in land conservation:
If you love Colorado – its majestic landscapes, delicious local food, critical headwaters, abundant wildlife, and iconic western heritage – join Colorado Open Lands as we work towards our mission of protecting these Colorado treasures.
Colorado Open Lands is searching for a dynamic Development Associate. The Associate will work closely with the CEO, Director of Development, and Director of Communications to provide our organization with the financial resources we need to accomplish our bold conservation goals.
Colorado Open Lands’ Development Program supports a diverse array of fundraising strategies including events, multiple appeal campaigns, major gifts, giving societies, foundations, planned giving, and workplace giving. We are looking for a candidate that will compliment and strengthen our team.
Primarily, the Associate will be responsible for:
- Database management
- Donor communications and research
- Event management
- Foundation support
- Workplace giving
- Manage and maintain Colorado Open Lands’ donor and prospect records.
- Lead migration of historic donor information into a singular database.
- Keep the database current by entering donor and financial data in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Run multi-faceted donor reports to support Development and Communications needs.
Donor Communications and Research
- Coordinate donor communications to ensure that Colorado Open Lands’ donors are informed, appreciated, and stewarded with the utmost care.
- Help craft strategic donor updates based on donor history and preferences.
- Provide timely gift acknowledgements and receipts.
- Coordinate post-meeting donor support and follow-up communications.
- Work with the Development team to craft and deliver donor recognition programs.
- Research and produce reports of donor and prospect data to support Development staff using internal and external information sources.
- Coordinate Colorado Open Lands’ two signature events, Cheers! for Conservation, and Q for Conservation, to ensure an exceptional attendee and honoree experience.
- In collaboration with the Development team, create an event plan to ensure on-time and quality execution of all event deliverables.
- Together with the Director of Communications, facilitate the creation of honoree profiles, remarks and recognition.
- Manage and coordinate all event venues, vendors and in-kind donors.
- Coordinate and support event volunteers.
- If relevant for the event, coordinate silent and live auctions.
- Direct day-of logistics from set-up to clean-up.
- Coordinate small-group donor retention events to deliver relevant, donor-focused experiences that uniquely connect donors to the land and work that they support.
- Manage pre and post event communications with donors and attendees, ensuring that relevant data is captured for stewardship and future outreach initiatives.
- Coordinate and calendar Foundation giving to ensure timely and complete grant submissions and foundation communications.
- Work with the Conservation, Stewardship and Special Programs teams to craft and capture the relevant language, outcomes, and stories needed to create compelling grant applications and illustrative reports.
- Work with the Director of Communications to create a compelling workplace giving communications package to recruit new workplace donors.
- Attend workplace giving fairs and interact with attendees, promoting Colorado Open Lands as a preferred workplace giving donation recipient.
As a member of the Colorado Open Lands team, the Development Associate will also be responsible for the following:
- Attending and contributing to staff meetings, retreats and events.
- Growing professional skills and conservation knowledge through continuing education.
- Being a positive ambassador of Colorado Open Lands in community networks.
A successful applicant will exhibit the following skills and qualifications:
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Expertise in database and information management; experience with Salesforce and/or DonorPerfect preferred.
- Accomplishment in event coordination and facilitation, in a non-profit setting, with volunteer engagement.
- Availability to work some nights and weekends.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), problem solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to accomplish personal, team and organizational goals.
- Commitment to the values of Colorado Open Lands and a passion for Colorado’s land and the quality of life it provides.
- Desire to be part of, and contribute to, a fun and dynamic workplace.
- A strong work ethic fueled by energy, enthusiasm, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Colorado Open Lands is an equal opportunity employer that values and encourages applicants with diverse backgrounds and skill sets.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and résumé by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position reports to the Development Director, and will remain open until filled.
Colorado Open Lands offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary, paid leave, medical and dental benefits, and a 401k program.
About Colorado Open Lands
Colorado Open Lands was founded in 1981 with a mission to preserve the significant open lands and diminishing natural heritage of Colorado through private and public partnerships, innovative land conservation techniques and strategic leadership. Since our founding, we have helped conserve over 400,000 acres of Colorado land in 40 counties. Learn more at www.coloradoopenlands.org.
Interested in a Career in Land Conservation?
We receive calls periodically from individuals who would like to shift into a conservation career or get more in-depth experience in land conservation techniques. We are sometimes asked what set of qualifications might make a person more competitive as they prepare to make this transition. Click here for some resources and suggestions.
Back to top